A quick and easy recipe. Makes about 12 biscuits.
4oz caster sugar
6oz Tritamyl flour (or all purpose gluten free flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the baking powder and xanthan gum to the flour and mix well.
- Fold the flour mixture into the buttery mixture and bring together into a crumbly dough.
- Roll the dough into a sausage shape and then cut into 10-12 slices for your biscuits.
- Arrange the biscuits on a greased baking tray (or trays).
- Bake for about 10-15 mins at 170C or until they turn a golden colour. My oven is not very good so times and temperatures will possibly be different for yours.
- Leave to cool in the tray for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
Make sure you use regular butter, as shortbread needs a little salty tang. If using unsalted butter then add about a quarter teaspoon of salt to the flour mixture.
This recipe is pretty quick and dirty as I needed nut-free biscuits on short notice but Hannah Miles has a better shortbread recipe that uses ground almonds. Yum!