This recipe is based on this one from The Happy Tummy blog, but slightly adapted as I am not bothered buying all the different flours required.
This pizza is pretty damn good, if you did have all the flours mentioned I’m sure that following the original recipe would make it even better.
Makes 2 pizzas.
2 cups Doves Farm Gluten Free Plain Flour
0.5 cups Doves Farm White Rice Flour
2.5 cups Tritamyl Plain Flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
0.5 teaspoons salt
0.5 cup whole milk
0.25 cup water
2.25 teaspoons active dry yeast (or a single sachet)
2 teaspoons sugar
2 large egg whites
2 tablespoons olive oil + plus more to use when handling the dough
- Preheat your oven to 160-180C.
- Mix the flours, xanthan gum, and salt together in a bowl. At this point you can also add dry herbs/spices if you want a flavoured pizza base.
- Combine milk and water and heat in microwave until warm.
- Stir yeast and sugar into the liquid mix and let proof for about 5 minutes (or until it gets a bit foamy).
- Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Fold the liquid mix, egg whites, and oil into dry ingredients and beat until dough is thoroughly combined. The dough will be VERY sticky, but it’s ok.Stirring it more makes it less disgusting
- Divide the mixture in two with a spatula, don’t put your hands near it, way too sticky.
- Oil two baking trays and, using a silicon spatula*, squish the dough down into each tray as best you can. This bit is annoying and messy but just persevere, grease up the spatula if needs be.
- Pop the trays into the oven for about 3 mins to firm up a bit.
- Now you can add your tomato sauce and toppings, pile them high!
- Put the pizzas back into the oven for about 15mins or until the toppings look good and the edges of the dough have browned a little.
If you don’t have a silicon spatula it is worth buying one just for this, the dough is super sticky and you’ll need something to work it with easily.
Save your 2 egg yolks and use them to make shortcrust pastry, or maybe some homemade mayonnaise to go with the pizzas. Yum.
WARNING: May contain delicious results.